Monday, February 9, 2009

5 Ways to Ruin Stir-Fry

One of the reasons that I wanted to start a blog was to share with people all my cooking advise and expertise, to sort of teach people how to cook. Well, the more I racked my brain for culinary knowledge, the more I thought of the ways that I screw up food. So instead of teaching people how to cook, I will instead share my knowledge of what NOT to do in the kitchen. So here's my first post on what not to do.

5 Ways to Ruin Stir-Fry:

1. Adding cheese. At a potluck dinner, I once was a witness to a man adding Velveeta cubes to a stir-fry made in a crock pot. I'm not kidding. I thought the stir-fry in a crock pot was bad enough until I saw the cheese.
2. Cooking stir-fry in 2 inches of oil. There's a reason they call it "stir-fry," not "stir-deep-fat-fry."
3. Adding spaghetti sauce as some sort of thickening agent. I tried this once, attempting to make "fusion-cuisine." It was more like "compost-cuisine."
4. Adding any kind of fruit besides pineapple. No matter how much you want to use up that rotting fruit on your counter, save it either for banana bread, chicken food, or the compost pile.
5. Cooking stir-fry in a crock pot. Actually, avoid cooking any Asian food in a crock pot. Save the crock pot for ribs, meatballs, and hearty German food. For Asian cuisine, cook rice in a rice cooker and leave it at that.

1 comment:

Karissa said...

Hey Allie!! I saw your comment on Sarah's blog and decided to check your blog out. I will be coming back for recipes often so keep them coming! I miss working with you and all our good times. Don't you miss having me around to give you a hard time and call you the blur?? Please visit my blog any time you want!!