Sunday, February 8, 2009

Peach Crisp


In the winter when fresh produce is often expense and not in season, I am always trying to come up with recipes to use up my home-canned fruit, or just any canned fruit. I found a recipe when you just sprinkle a yellow cake mix over the fruit in the pan, then top with pats of butter and bake. I tried it that way, but decided it needed something more. So I invented this recipe. So far, I've tried this with canned pears and peaches, but I'm sure it would work well on any fruit, fresh, canned or frozen.

Fruit Crisp with a Cake Mix

2 (29) oz. cans fruit or 1 quart home-canned fruit
1 box yellow or golden butter cake mix
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 cup oats
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375. Drain one of the cans of fruit, but leave the juice in the other can. If using a quart, just pour off about 1/3 of the juice. Pour fruit in a 9 x 13 dish. or large casserole dish. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, spices and oats. Stir in butter, then using hands, mix until crumbly. Crumble topping evenly over fruit. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until top is nicely browned and edges are bubbly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: